06 October 2014

Purveyr Instagramer: Kyna Garcia

Instagram has become a powerful tool for one to freely express themselves through beautifully snapped photos and well thought of captions. It is a simple way to capture and share special moments, to see the world through the eyes of others, and to allow its users to experience other people's lives through photos as they happen. Because of this, we decided to do a monthly feature to showcase our favorite Filipino Instagrammers.

The #PurveyrInstagrammer for the month of October is Kyna Garcia.


"My name is Kyna Garcia and I am a 19 year old from Manila, currently in my last 3 months of taking up AB-Photography in DLS-CSB. I've been into Photography since August of 2009, but I always just looked at it as a hobby. I am in love with traveling and I enjoy taking photos on my iPhone like it's my job."

If you love travelling or even just itching to go on a trip, then we advise you pick up your phone, get on Instagram, and search for @nakyy. Breathtaking views, wonderful sceneries, and just overall beautiful places grace this 19-year old's feed. You'll be surprised that most, if not all, of her photos are taken in the Philippines, because she goes to the most uncommon of places here; places not usually visited by tourists, places that we may even consider as "underground." With the amount of interaction on her Instagram account reaching close to a thousand likes, it's no wonder that she is currently on the Suggested Users list of Instagram.

We asked Kyna about her love for Instagram, and here's what she has to say.


How long have you been using Instagram and what made you decide to give more effort in it?
I created my instagram account in February of 2011. My instagram news feed was boring me and all I ever saw were people constantly posting their selfies, new things they bought, what they ate, and them at parties with friends. Nothing different from facebook, really.

No one influenced me in iPhoneography, I just decided one day to post (artsy) shots to change things up before I completely gave up on Instagram. I started getting nice feedback and I enjoyed sharing what I thought was visually appealing. I didn't think people would actually like them at first, so it's really cool that they do. It's still hard to believe.



How would you describe your approach (style) to photography?
If we're talking about my editing style in Instagram, I just try to be as consistent as i can be with my colors so that the photos on my feed look nice as a collection. I get a bit nit picky with my shots, so i tend to delete my posts if I no longer like it.


What are your usual subjects?
I love taking photos of nature and landscapes. Fog shots are my absolute favorite. I like taking portraits, as well, so having people in my nature shots makes it so much more enjoyable to shoot. I usually have my friends or family stand or sit on random things and places. Haha!


What makes for a good Instagram shot?
Great composition and nice editing, but that's just me. Even proper framing and cropping can make a big difference. Everyone has their different tastes.


What’s the most unusual thing you’ve done for an Instagram photo?
I don't think it's necessarily unusual, but it's pretty reckless of me (or anyone) to stand in the middle of the road, where I can potentially be run over. I love road and trail shots so much, I even created my own hashtag - #PavedOrUnpaved. Sometimes, you just have to #doitforthegram.


Are your photos on Instagram solely taken from your phone, or do you use other devices, such as SLRs, digital cameras, etc? Do you think the equipment one uses is a big factor in producing stunning Instagram posts?
I used to be strictly iPhone 4 only (I guess it was sort of 'frowned upon' to upload DSLR photos before) but I've been posting a lot of DSLR shots recently and I don't see anything wrong about it. It's sort of an overview of what my portfolio looks like (However, I don't use vscocam for portfolio shots), and social media can help me in my career of being a photographer. You can have the most expensive camera or phone, but if you don't use your creativity and don't know how to conceptualize and manipulate your photos correctly, then your equipment (whether it be a DSLR or a smart phone) just becomes a prop.


What inspires you? And how does it influence your passion for photography?
I am inspired by my fellow IGers from other countries. Seeing positive comments about my work and having people tell me how I've influenced and inspired them, inspires me. People from all over the world are doing the same thing as i'm doing, and seeing them do what they love and traveling around is inspiring because I get to see parts of the world that I never even knew existed. My friends here on Instagram keep my passion alive, because we all inspire each other in some way through our photographs. I said inspire way too many times, sorry.



Who are your favorite Instagrammers?
I follow way too many brilliant IGers to pick my favorites. If you check my following list, you'll find most of them there, obviously!


What do you dislike about Instagram?
I have seen my work stolen and people have claimed my photos as their own. I'm grateful that I have people messaging me when they see my posts around Instagram.

Also, It's become more of a competition than just sharing beautiful photos. All these shoutout for shoutout posts and promo for promos are ridiculous. We are here to appreciate art and people's perspectives and creativity. What's the point of having hundreds and thousands of followers if only a handful of them will appreciate your posts?


What is Instagram for you?
It's the best and only app that has changed my life as a photographer. You get to see the perspective of each and every person and it's almost like you're inside their mind. I have met so many great friends, and I have yet to meet more amazing people from different countries who I have formed a special bond with, and it's all because of Instagram. It's crazy to think that if I visit a country other than the Philippines, I already have friends welcoming me to their homeland and offering me a place to stay and take me around their city or state to shoot with them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2012-2016 PURVEYR, All Rights Reserved.
Follow us on Instagram