02 October 2017

The Streetwear Comeback: UNSCHLD since 2007, till 2017 and beyond



I bought my first UNSCHLD piece in 2013. It was a dark blue denim jacket that had Alfred E. Neuman patched on the back and stylized like a pirate. It also had "MARAUDERS" embroidered on it. I wanted it in black denim but that was sold out. 

Words by Red Moraleta & Photos by Zaldine Alvaro

I was in high school back then. I wasn't the type to go out so I didn't know how to do many things that I've grown accustomed to now. This was my first online purchase. No physical interaction with the seller – just go to the bank, deposit the money, then the item's going to be shipped straight to your door. Pretty simple, but it was already a challenge for the younger me that hadn't done anything independently yet. For a lot of the more grown-up errands and tasks that I do now, streetwear was one of the reasons I learned to do them. Before I even had the faintest idea of what streetwear was, it already affected my life. The bold designs, the meaning, the enigmatic presence that the clothes represented, they spoke to me. UNSCHLD embodies what streetwear is and their comeback is further proof of what kind of impact they had on people and continue to have on them. Seeing them come back with a collection brought me back to my roots, like a lot of us.


The streetwear powerhouse was founded in 2007. The founders envisioned the brand to be an entirely different entity from the individuals who compose of it. To have a wholly different different persona. To exist on its own. Its name "Unschooled" is derived from their collective outlook in life; that the brand will not follow a certain school of thought. That it is self-taught. Stylized as UNSCHLD, the brand's beginnings can be traced to the early days of online selling. Their products back in those days were mostly graphics-centered. And where an actual physical shop wasn't present, Multiply was. (Multiply was an online social networking site that allowed users to share media. It was prominent pre-Facebook, it's where local independent businesses would set up their online stores for free. It officially halted its operations in 2013.) Operations were guerilla-like, its spread was by word of mouth. Clearly a formula that worked for them as they rose to prominence and established themselves. Now, they return perennially awaited by the community.


The lookbook, which was dropped in August 2017, brought out a frenzied excitement and anticipation for the brand that had wiped clean all of its posts all over their social media. Soon, a date for a pop-up was announced through an event poster. The strategic set-up brought forth a crowd itching at their palms to get a hold of UNSCHLD. The line outside Openspace – where the pop-up is located – started at around 1:17 PM and only grew longer from there as the afternoon went by.


I went around asking people about UNSCHLD. Both old and new customers had nothing but praises to say. Old customers told me their stories about how they got into UNSCHLD in the first place and why they anticipated this return. New customers shared what drew them to the pop-up.


Josh Subeldia, a long time follower of the brand, remembers idolizing Rjay Ty and points to him as his influence for supporting UNSCHLD. David De Jesus recalls his affinity with the brand which started from the Word Play events at Ronac Art Center where he would see the quality goods that the then Ronac-based store carried. (UNSCHLD had a shop in Ronac Art Center after closing Commune at Perea St., Makati City.) While KLTRD co-founder Mong Feliciano reminisces about UNSCHLD's early days in Perea St., where the same owners of the brand run the streetwear store, Commune. "It was the place to be at the time, around 2009-2010." he shares. All of them found out about UNSCHLD through physical interactions, one of the many reasons that made the brand's community flourish. While old customers experienced UNSCHLD first-hand, new customers like Argie Alcantara and Joey Coscolluela had to wait for this comeback release to get a piece for their own. Both of them found out about UNSCHLD when the brand was on hiatus, which is why they never got the opportunity to purchase pieces from the local streetwear pioneer. Argie, already wearing the cap he bought, says the wide variety of pieces and superb craftsmanship drew him to the launch of UNSCHLD's new collection. Joey tells us he found out about the pop-up from a friend and saw the opportunity to finally buy a piece from the brand he's only seen online. With streetwear and the internet fully acquainted, UNSCHLD has reached another resurgence for its community.


UNSCHLD's own – Julo de Guzman, owner, and Rjay Ty, manager, added a few things. When asked about the reason of UNSCHLD's hiatus, "UNSCHLD never stopped. Operations were always ongoing, it just seemed we were gone from the outside." they shared. And what more can we expect from the brand? "More streetwear staples that have the same trusted quality." they eagerly explain.

 

UNSCHLD's since grown from its inception, it is now revered as one of local streetwear's pioneers. Their humble roots of graphic tees have now expanded into full garments and accessories, so it's exciting to see where they're going next.


5 comments:

The above shared post is very important for us, thanks for sharing.

Gmail Customer Care

Hello everyone out there, help me Thank Dr UGO! My name is MRS LINDA from Netherlands. I am here to give testimony on how I got my ex husband back, my husband left me for no reason 6 Months. He moved in with another woman, I felt like killing myself, my life became very bitter and sorrowful. Then 1 day, a friend of mine told me about a great spell caster that is very good and she said that he told her all about her life history and the problem she is facing, I didn't believe it because I've worked with so many of them and it didn't work. She begged me further so I decided to try this great spell caster called Great Dr UGO. I still didn't believe, but inside me I wanted to give a try and as God will have it, I used the spell solution he gave me and the next day I received a call from my darling husband Romero last month. He apologized and came back to me. I'm very happy now with my family it worked for me and I believe it will work for you too just give him a try and follow up this is a clear truth from a testifier. Thank you Dr UGO once again, if you want to reach him via email:(dr.ugo.temple@gmail.com) 

Am here to testify of a great spell caster who is very straight forward with his words of casting spells. When my Wife left me for another Man i was so confused,but one day a friend of mine gave me the email address of this great spell caster called Awo Babatunde, I contacted this man and explained to him all that i was going through,he then told me to be calm and not worry anymore because my case is a very easy one. At first i never believe all that he was saying until when my wife returned home two days later begging me to forgive him all that he has done to me and to please accept him back into my life,I was so amazed,I never believe it was going to happen that fast.
This man is truly great indeed. Contact him today for a perfect solution to your love problem, Awobabatunde50@gmail.com or whatsApp him +2349045101972

I want to thank Dr kuta a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with his email address drkutaherbalcenter@gmail.com

Thank you Dr Ifayemi for what you have done for me! My husband stopped filling the divorce papers after I contacted you to help me stop the divorce with my husband and now things are going much better now. As you said, all the process concerning the divorce have been cancelled and the evil woman that cause the problem in my marriage has be sent away by my husband and we are now happy together, if you are having relationship or marriage problems or any other problems, you can email him at: (dr.ifayemis@gmail.com) or WhatsApp him (+2348118083441). Have a nice day

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2012-2016 PURVEYR, All Rights Reserved.
Follow us on Instagram