26 September 2017

Creative's Travel Guide: 18 Hours in Siargao by Archie Geotina


Soak in some sun and fall in love with Siargao's amazing views and laid-back vibe. Siargao, in all its glory, has a reputation of being deemed as the surfing capital of the Philippines, understandably so, with countless of surfboards that have kissed the waves of its beaches and the amount of surfing spots it has to offer. But what do we really know of this surf-loving island besides its lively waves and the evidently sun-kissed skin of its locals and tourists? Artist Archie Geotina didn’t know much either, not until he packed his bags and started living there almost two years ago.

Back in Manila, Archie Geotina, better known as ‘chichimonster’, kept himself busy with freelance work as an artist. Working with different brands and doing art direction for different clients, Archie managed to fill his already thick portfolio with all the creative works he has done in the past. He also ventured out, owning a sewing shop that manufactures clothing for local and foreign brands, together with his partner. Needless to say, his life in the city was pretty productive and creatively-driven. However, for Archie, with the desire to breathe in a different type of air, moving to Siargao seemed like the most natural decision as he sees the hustle and bustle of Manila to be, in his own words, ‘repetitive’ and ‘mundane’. 


“I wanted to challenge myself and I wanted my mind to grow. So I decided to change my mindset by changing my scenery. And everything around me and in me changed after that.” Archie shares. These days, he is still rooted in his creative activities – would fly back to Manila once a month for a huge project he is currently doing, as well us check up on his sewing shop back in the city. Together with all of these responsibilities, he now also works as the brand manager of Harana Surf Resort.

So with his background and time spent in Siargao, we are sure Archie's guide to the island would be really interesting. The list is composed of his recommended activities that one can do within 18 hours in the island, to experience its laid-back vibe, great community and a variety of food.

Words by Christia Ramos & Photography by Emmanuel YbaƱez


6AM – 7AM: Wake up like a local
With the tourism in Siargao becoming a thriving scene, it’s best to come and watch the sun rise at the Cloud 9 tower to avoid the swarm of tourists later in the day. This way, you’ll get to witness the island in its purest form.

7AM – 8AM: Explore the island in style
For Archie, the best thing about Siargao is its lack of traffic, he would often drive around on his Honda TMX 155 brat while the island is asleep. After soaking in on an amazing view, why not rent a motorbike and explore the island for a much closer look while in motion and take advantage of the early hours to experience Siargao in its peaceful nature.


8AM – 10AM: Grab a hearty breakfast
Let Shaka or Harana Surf Resort fill you up with the most important meal of the day. After driving around, your appetite would've gone through the roof and a serving of some healthy breakfast from Shaka or a taste of the classic Filipino-style breakfast with a cup of the island's best coffee from Harana Surf Resort will do just the trick. 

While you're at it, go on ahead to Kawayan Gourmand for a taste of some legit croissants, but better go there early 'cause these things run out fast. However, if you're looking for a quick bite and cheap good food, go and look for Shat's or Dadang's by purok 3 and you'll find Archie's favorite and well-recommended carinderias.

Shaka 

Harana Surf Resort

10AM – 12PM: Surf like the locals do
After an hour full of great food, it's time to head on over to Malinao beach for a swim. It's a peaceful beach far from General Luna and it is less reef and more sand if you find the right spot.

Check the beach if surfing is possible. If the tides are right for the breaks that you want to surf in, go surf. Do not go to Siargao and not surf at least once. As a beginner, look for a SISA (Siargao Island Surfer's Association) certified surf instructor and get lessons at Cloud 9. Normally they will take you to a break called Jacking Horse, a good beginner break that works best during high tides. On lower tides the wave gets bigger and jacks up faster. 


12PM – 2PM: Feast on some fresh seafood 
You'd be hungry by now, so go with your friends and do some island hopping to Naked Island, Guyam and Daku. Before you head out, buy fish in the General Luna market and have it cooked in Daku island where you can rent cottages so you can relax under the shade. Normally you would spend 500 per head or 1,000 including food. 

2PM – 3PM: Get a glimpse of Siargao's natural beauty
I always tell people to explore the island away from General Luna, go to Tak Tak Falls or Pilar or Tangbayan Caves. See the island in all its untouched glory and see how peaceful it truly is. The road trip normally teaches tourists why they should respect the island. You realize these things when you explore. 


3PM – 4PM: Siesta time
The island will wear you down with all of the activities. So it's always good to have time to rest and slow down. 

4PM – 6PM: Snack, then go again
Grab a snack at CFC, Catagnan Fried Chicken. Then go back to the beach for a sunset surf. 


6PM – 8PM: Treat yourself with some more good food
Have some dinner at Kalinaw, although a bit on the higher ended price-point, the food and service in Kalinaw never disappoints. I recommend that you try their thin crust pizzas and specials.

8PM – 9PM: Bottom's up!
It's happy hour at Kermit's, so grab their mojitos, these drinks are buy one take one until 9pm so get them while you can.

9PM – 10PM: Sip or sleep
You're probably a little tipsy by now, but you can still head to Harana Surf Resort for some B52's and tequila shots if you're pre-gaming for a party. Or you could take a more relaxed route and get yourself some well-needed slumber.

10PM – 12AM: End the full day with a blast, if you're still up for it
Head to Viento Del Mar, Rhumbar or Jungle Disco for a glimpse of Siargao's nightlife. But you should really get some rest. All the activities that you did prior? That's only half of what you can do here.



5 comments:

You made some respectable points there. I looked on the internet for the issue and found most people will go along with your website. Look Here

Great work in this post.i love it.
outlook support keep posting.

Hello everyone out there, help me Thank Dr UGO! My name is MRS LINDA from Netherlands. I am here to give testimony on how I got my ex husband back, my husband left me for no reason 6 Months. He moved in with another woman, I felt like killing myself, my life became very bitter and sorrowful. Then 1 day, a friend of mine told me about a great spell caster that is very good and she said that he told her all about her life history and the problem she is facing, I didn't believe it because I've worked with so many of them and it didn't work. She begged me further so I decided to try this great spell caster called Great Dr UGO. I still didn't believe, but inside me I wanted to give a try and as God will have it, I used the spell solution he gave me and the next day I received a call from my darling husband Romero last month. He apologized and came back to me. I'm very happy now with my family it worked for me and I believe it will work for you too just give him a try and follow up this is a clear truth from a testifier. Thank you Dr UGO once again, if you want to reach him via email:(dr.ugo.temple@gmail.com) 

Am here to testify of a great spell caster who is very straight forward with his words of casting spells. When my Wife left me for another Man i was so confused,but one day a friend of mine gave me the email address of this great spell caster called Awo Babatunde, I contacted this man and explained to him all that i was going through,he then told me to be calm and not worry anymore because my case is a very easy one. At first i never believe all that he was saying until when my wife returned home two days later begging me to forgive him all that he has done to me and to please accept him back into my life,I was so amazed,I never believe it was going to happen that fast.
This man is truly great indeed. Contact him today for a perfect solution to your love problem, Awobabatunde50@gmail.com or whatsApp him +2349045101972

Thank you Dr Ifayemi for what you have done for me! My husband stopped filling the divorce papers after I contacted you to help me stop the divorce with my husband and now things are going much better now. As you said, all the process concerning the divorce have been cancelled and the evil woman that cause the problem in my marriage has be sent away by my husband and we are now happy together, if you are having relationship or marriage problems or any other problems, you can email him at: (dr.ifayemis@gmail.com) or WhatsApp him (+2348118083441). Have a nice day

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2012-2016 PURVEYR, All Rights Reserved.
Follow us on Instagram