01 July 2016

Fete de la Musique 2016 attendees talk about Music and the Local Scene


A few weekends ago, the Manila live music scene exploded again through this year's Fete de la Musique. With 23 different stages hosting numerous musical performances from various genres, happening simultaneously, it is probably the biggest celebration of local music in the city. So we went out and around some of the stages to take portraits of event-goers and ask them a few questions. We we're curious about who goes and supports local music nowadays, and we wanted a glimpse of how they perceive the scene and their ideas on how we can further it. See what several Fete de la Musique 2016 attendees have to say below. We caught up with entrepreneurs, art directors, musicians and more.

We don't see any of their answers as definite right or wrong, it's purely for a healthy discussion on local music, and to be able to engage everyone on thinking more about it. So let us know what's your take too, and maybe we could come up with something really helpful for the local music industry. 

Photos by Andrei Suleik


Alex Lietz (@alex_lietz) - Entrepreneur (Owner of Juan Brew)
Can you share to us your current favorite music? Blues, Led Zeppelin, Albert King, Howlin Wolf, Robert Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughn, [and] Jimi Hendrix. Blues music speaks from the soul. 12 bars Blues is really a language in itself so you can hear the artist speaking through his guitar even without vocals. It's also not about playing the fastest or slowest, it's about playing the best sounding notes at a particular moment.
What do you think should happen for local music to grow bigger? For local music to become bigger, we first have to sing in English. I'm half Filipino and speak Tagalog fluently but by singing songs in Tagalog, we limit the consumer base willing to spend for the music. If you sing all your songs in English, you can tour internationally and pretty much everyone will understand. Everyone knows that the money in music today is all about the "show". Nothing can replace watching and hearing the musician who wrote the song actually playing in front of you in the same room or venue. I think the local industry needs to look at how to make shows more affordable, regular, and more engaging for the masses.


Can you share to us your current favorite music? 90s Alternative Rock and EDM (If I'm in the mood)
How does music influence you? Music is my ultimate go-to fix for whatever time of the day or situation I am in. I can be stressed as hell and disoriented from all the work, but once I get tuned in to my playlist of choice, I get to dictate my jive for the day.
What do you think should happen for local music to grow bigger? I think local music is already big here in the Philippines. I think it's more a matter of getting the support of the big guys for the small players. I've [already] heard some (just take an evening stroll at High Street on a Sunday night) who have huge potential to make their music reach a wider audience.


Can you share to us your current favorite music? [I'm] currently listening to Chance The Rapper's Coloring Book. I also love BØRNS and LANY when I'm on my way to work.
How does music influence you? Everyday, I'm working in an 8-hour shift publishing company, and music is the only companion [I have] when I need an in-the-zone moment.
What do you think should happen for local music to grow bigger? I think what is happening now in the local music scene is actually a big step ahead, especially in the indie scene. I was surprised that more "youngns" are aware of bands and artists [now], and gigs are usually packed. It's [also] good that radio stations are promoting more local artists. I wish people just continue to appreciate and spread the love for OPM!


Can you share to us your current favorite music? Passion Pit, San Cisco, The Naked and Famous, Panama, among others.
How does music influence you? It gives me an outlet to express my emotions and [it] boosts creativity.
What do you think should happen for local music to grow bigger? Like products, it should be present and available on channels that people go to. All it takes is for people to hear it and know that it's there. That makes all the difference in the world.


Can you share to us your current favorite music? Kanye West, Chance The Rapper, Fat Freddys Drop, [and] MØ
How does music influence you? Music changes everything. It can make you cry and laugh, or even both at the same time. Sometimes I feel like it's this lost piece of me that some awesome songwriter wrote up just for a specific moment in my life. It's also an amazing feeling sharing that love of music with people.
What do you think should happen for local music to grow bigger? I think people shouldn't be shy or scared to try and hear new things. Especially local stuff because sometimes I think that people forget their roots, and also our local indie scene. But I think it's been growing exponentially and it's exciting to see it getting out there more.


Can you share to us your current favorite music? Indie Rock, Pop and Folk
How does music influence you? Music doesn't necessarily influence me, but some artists just get it -- they are able to understand and express some feelings that I am otherwise unable to.
What do you think should happen for local music to grow bigger? Support real artists.


Can you share to us your current favorite music? Ciudad, Sleepwalk Circus, Outerhope, Hana+Gabi, No Rome, Arigato Hato, Tame Impala, Ra Ra Riot, Wet, Tora, [and] Modest Mouse
How does music influence you? Music has been a big part of my life since I can remember. Making music, for me, is revitalizing. Listening to it live is cathartic.
What do you think should happen for local music to grow bigger? There are a lot of great talents in the local scene right now, no doubt, and what these artists really need is the online "daldal" of their fans. If we can make memes and videos go viral, we can make music viral and infectious too!


Can you share to us your current favorite music? Indietronica
How does music influence you? Music is the only thing that keeps me sane.
What do you think should happen for local music to grow bigger? Beyond live gigs? Interactivity and collaboration.


Carmela Gonzales (@melagonzales) - Administrative Officer
How does music influence you? Music touches my heart. It can change my mood and bring up old feelings and memories.
What do you think should happen for local music to grow bigger? I think we should find a way to hype-up local music and target younger audiences, because kids these days rarely support local music.


Sarah Katigbak (@kycsshop) - Interior & Fashion Designer
Can you share to us your current favorite music? 80s Pop and New Wave. [Also] Encyclopedia Frown, the drummer is my daughter, Kaya Katigbak.
How does music influence you? It affects me differently on different days. Trends in music affect trends in design. Intuitively it affects my design direction.
What do you think should happen for local music to grow bigger? Social media can be utilized to create a buzz. Viral videos can go deeper than the usual. There should be more coverage on competitions that create original music.


Can you share to us your current favorite music? Hip-hop
How does music influence you? Makes me move along the obstacles, it's like coffee and a happy pill, a remedy.
What do you think should happen for local music to grow bigger? Love ourselves before others. Give love and appreciate our own creations.


Can you share to us your current favorite music? Jazz, Hip-hop, Old-school Soul. [Specifically], Robert Glasper, Kendrick Lamar, The Temptations, A Tribe Called Quest, [and] Jimi Hendrix.
How does music influence you? Music has always been a huge driving/motivating force for me ever since I was born. My dad is a singer/songwriter and my mom is a dancer, they both made sure to play good music in the house when I was growing up. My family has always been supportive, and I chose this path so it's quite a responsibility. I can't function properly without music, I need to be making, listening or experiencing music in any way I can, everyday.
What do you think should happen for local music to grow bigger? I feel like there is so much gold in our local scene, quality over quantity, from what I see. I think we just need to showcase the underground artists who are really saying something worth listening to, more so than the mainstream rock groups. Rock is the most popular genre in this country, but we are so rich in every genre. Jazz, soul, hip-hop, indie, electronic music [and so on]. We've got so many dope artists all around us. [And] I feel like the government needs to support artists more too. We need to come together and show off more of our artists, I think that's important.


Joan Ilejay (@joanilejay) - Graphic Textile Designer & Photographer
Can you share to us your current favorite music? Post Rock
How does music influence you? Music has always been a great source of comfort and undiscovered emotions. It's helped me clear doubts and insecurities in my works.
What do you think should happen for local music to grow bigger? I think local music should be played more often on radio stations. Awareness and empowerment of our local scene should [also] be better established among the old and young alike.


Can you share to us your current favorite music? Electronica, Indie, Chill, Funk, R&B and more. My music choices vary according to my mood.
How does music influence you? Music influences a large part of my life. It helps me get through the day (traffic, bad and good moods). Music can inspire me to create an emotion, make me remember a certain memory in my life that would benefit the scene I'm about to do. It can spark my brush strokes as I start on a new painting. Music for me is life.
What do you think should happen for local music to grow bigger? I believe what needs to happen is already happening, more and more people are getting into the local music scene with an open mind. Thanks to social media in all of its forms, things "INSTAntaneously"get shared as fast as you snap your fingers. It's getting there, and getting there fast.


Can you share to us your current favorite music? [I] currently listen to some old school 50-70s soul from various artists, and to Hill Country Blues artists; Junior Kimbrough and RL Burnside, which is my new fave.
How does music influence you? It's my life actually; it's what kept me breathing for the longest time. [It] kept me alive, music is what opened horizons in my life.
What do you think should happen for local music to grow bigger? It needs to be more of a community, people helping each other. And people should be more open-minded about different kinds of music. We should listen on our own, learn how to research.


Dee Jae Pa'este (@deejae408) - Artist, Muralist, Host, Designer & Food Lover
Can you share to us your current favorite music? Soul, Folk, Reggae, Hip-hop and Oldies. [Then] some of my favorite artists are Sade, A Tribe Called Quest, Haiatus Kaiyote, Sam Cooke, Blonde Redhead, [and] The Bee Gees.
How does music influence you? Music influences my sleep, my art, and the way I feel at times. Music can either make you forget everything, or remember everything.
What do you think should happen for local music to grow bigger? I think there should be more listening parties for people to interact and get to know the artists. And [also] events to promote local music through organic and more focused environments.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2012-2016 PURVEYR, All Rights Reserved.
Follow us on Instagram