05 August 2014

Purveyr Instagramer: Jelito de Leon

Instagram has become a powerful tool for one to freely express themselves through beautifully snapped photos and well thought of captions. It is a simple way to capture and share special moments, to see the world through the eyes of others, and to allow its users to experience other people's lives through photos as they happen. Because of this, we decided to do a monthly feature to showcase our favorite Filipino Instagramers.

The #PurveyrInstagramer for the month of August is Jelito de Leon.


"I’m Jelito de Leon. I am an AB Photography graduate from De La Salle College of Saint Benilde. I shoot still life and food."

With close to 54,000 followers, it’s no surprise that Jelito de Leon is one of the finalists in this year’s Globe Tatt Awards under the Instagram Phenom of the Year category. From BS HRIM to AB Photography, it is clear that Jelito’s passion is really to be behind the lens, though his photos still reflect his love for the Culinary Arts as his expertise is in food photography. His clean and minimalist approach to photography makes for a consistent-looking Instagram feed. From his daily dose of coffee to freshly cooked eggs for breakfast to a good magazine or whatever reading material, Jelito makes everyday scenes look incredibly stunning.

We asked Jelito about his love for Instagram, and here's what he has to say.


How long have you been using Instagram and what made you decide to give more effort in it?
I’ve been on Instagram for about 2 years now. I started when Instagram became available for Android. I started “giving effort” to my photos a year ago when I saw another Instagrammer’s feed (@annettepehrsson). I realised that simple everyday scenes can look very beautiful. I love the idea of sharing to other people how you see a usual scene (breakfast, coffee breaks, etc.)


How would you describe your approach (style) to photography?
I don’t know how to call it but I usually juggle between very light and bright photos and very dark and dramatic photos.



What are your usual subjects?
The most photographed object on my Instagram feed is probably a cup of coffee.



What makes for a good Instagram shot?
Composition and perfect light!



What’s the most unusual thing you’ve done for an Instagram photo?
There are a lot of “unusual” things I’ve done just to get that perfect shot for Instagram. Probably one of them is I asked my sister to lie down on the floor and look directly to where light was coming from.



Are your photos on Instagram solely taken from your phone, or do you use other devices, such as SLRs, digital cameras, etc? Do you think the equipment one uses is a big factor in producing stunning Instagram posts?
For Instagram, I prefer using my iPhone. Just because it’s so much easier to shoot with an iPhone and I get to share it instantly. I also love the challenge of shooting with an iPhone camera. I don’t think it matters what camera you use for Instagram though.



What inspires you? And how does it influence your passion for photography?
I think what inspires me is, there can be a thousand photos of the same sunset but all of them are different in a way. It’s just so inspiring to see how different everyone sees the world. I love how I get to see the other side of the world on my phone.



Who are your favorite Instagrammers?
Too many to mention but here are some:
@ioegreer
@geoffhowe
@naomipq
@puanindya
@rubenhughes



What do you dislike about Instagram?
You can’t edit captions!



What is Instagram for you?
Instagram for me is not only a place to share photos. It’s also a place to make friends from around the world. Share stories with people you wouldn’t think you’d be talking to. You’d find someone else’s Instagram profile and you’d instantly fall in love with their posts. You leave a comment and they reply, they follow you back and you guys are instantly friends. I love how Instagram connects so many people from around the world. Instagram is definitely much more than just an app.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2012-2016 PURVEYR, All Rights Reserved.
Follow us on Instagram