19 March 2017

Nude Illustrations from The Lifedrawing Setup by Tom Bucag


The two-man team of WHOAREMARO is at it again with The Lifedrawing Setup, a nude figure drawing event that gathers different people in a night of music, drinks, and well, nudity. Having just concluded their 6th installment, Mikee and Rocky continue to give artists (whether amateur or professional) a venue to practice their skill and hone their craft. But it's not just a place for artists to commune, it's also welcoming to those who simply wants to get exposed, The Lifedrawing Setup is as open as it gets.

WHOAREMARO invited us to one of the first sessions a while back, and we found it interesting and intriguing – so much that we wanted to have someone experience it, too. For this, we wanted to send someone who is already into drawing and illustration but thought of nude figures as unfamiliar territory, and so Tom Bucag came to mind. Tom is known for the illustrations he did for Preview last year, where he made portraits of their Best Dressed in a way only he can. We reached out to him, asked if he wanted to experience such a thing. He was surprised by the invitation but was equally curious, and so he went.

Artworks by Tom Bucag


Can you give a brief background about yourself?
It all started with a spontaneous slap of curiosity. I was a college student back then – an undergraduate trying to earn a degree majoring in Biology, when it hit me with the thought of "drawing" but without the intent of pursuing it. Bought the cheapest sketching pad, grabbed a random number coded graphite pencil and charcoal. I didn't have the slightest inkling as to how it works! So I just went on with it and drew my first ever portrait with a specific vision of a woman in mind. The result was far from how I wished it to be, but it was a self pat on the back thinking "kaya ko pala!"  (I can do it!) From then, I drew every chance I get.

I have always admired femininity – its fluidity and subtle yet firm expression of a message. My subjects mainly revolve around women with a distinct look of being aloof and nonchalant but proud. Style wise, I like experimenting on different techniques and media thus I can't claim yet a specific style I would consider mine.


What do you hope to achieve being an artist?
One of the artists I look up to, Yohji Yamamoto, once said "I want to achieve anti-fashion through fashion." There's a strange correlation about his views to mine wherein we're eyeing on the same trophy. Pursuing art without the formal education can be a real pain (aside from being very time consuming). That's why it was always a mindset to create art and present it in its truest form and content without the thought of undergoing through the process of how things should be.


What did you expect from The Lifedrawing Setup? How was the experience?
Honestly, I expected the event to be like scenes from films – quiet, well-lit, serious, and intimidating. It was close to being the complete opposite. Like the usual setup as films would portray, the nude model stands in the middle on a platform while the artists circle around. Apart from the setup, music was of great help. It was loud but not numbing, enough to kill the intimidating air that welcomed me as I entered the room. Everyone was serious. One would walk around trying to find the perfect angle despite the surprisingly huge crowd, then settles 'til the sketch is done and the model makes another pose.

As my normal uncalm self, my eyes kept roaming around different sketchpads from one hand to another, observing how other artists do it. The experience was initially very intimidating. I kept flipping pages to start another work. I put my observance to good use, turns out, not giving a whit is key. You just gotta do your own thing because honestly, other artists don't give that much damn about what you make as they're busy creating their own.


Would you want to do it again?
Definitely. Aside from enjoying the used-to-be unfamiliar The Lifedrawing Setup, I've met a great deal of people.

Why should artists experience The Lifedrawing Setup?
Artists should experience The Lifedrawing Setup because it will test your skills on the spot. There's no time for procrastinating. Everything is fast paced, thus your mind gets to come up with an idea in an instant, which is very crucial.

Lastly, could you briefly discuss to us your illustrations.
As mentioned earlier, I started with much intimidation from fellow artists, and it's clearly reflected on my first drawings. The style was very uncertain with much confusion on how I want the final output would look like. But towards the latter drawings, I went on with my mindset of just going with it with instantaneous ideas. It can be tricky at first, but one learns in the process.



1 comments:

Hello everyone out there, help me Thank Dr UGO! My name is MRS LINDA from Netherlands. I am here to give testimony on how I got my ex husband back, my husband left me for no reason 6 Months. He moved in with another woman, I felt like killing myself, my life became very bitter and sorrowful. Then 1 day, a friend of mine told me about a great spell caster that is very good and she said that he told her all about her life history and the problem she is facing, I didn't believe it because I've worked with so many of them and it didn't work. She begged me further so I decided to try this great spell caster called Great Dr UGO. I still didn't believe, but inside me I wanted to give a try and as God will have it, I used the spell solution he gave me and the next day I received a call from my darling husband Romero last month. He apologized and came back to me. I'm very happy now with my family it worked for me and I believe it will work for you too just give him a try and follow up this is a clear truth from a testifier. Thank you Dr UGO once again, if you want to reach him via email:(dr.ugo.temple@gmail.com) 

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2012-2016 PURVEYR, All Rights Reserved.
Follow us on Instagram