09 November 2015

Purveyr Instagramer: Aaron Quinto


Aaron's Instagram feed is a display of seemingly ordinary spaces captured in what we can say as the prime of their years. Streets, heights, and corners we'd most likely take for granted now are the foci of his curated space. Who would've thought that inanimate objects are as alive as the ones who made them? Aaron does. And thanks to him we can too. One look at his feed, under the name @aieos, and we're taken to those very places, looking up at glorious heights, getting lost in detailed beauty, flickering through gripping patterns, and most of all, being made aware of our surroundings and how they're shaping our world as we are. By looking at his feed, we just can't help but to feel small, at the same time privileged, to be engulfed by scenic structures.

"My name's Aaron, Architecture major. I like taking photos of places before they're finally gone."

How long have you been using Instagram and what made you decide to give more effort in it?
Since 2010. Back when using Kelvin filter was still forgivable. I decided to take it more seriously when I had my first smartphone in 2013. I figured that it would much helpful as a platform in exploring my love for photography and putting the images that I capture out there.

How would you describe your approach to photography?
Calculated but not exactly. I like framing my subject and convey a story through it. I treat architecture, the cities and the built environment as if they're alive because inanimate as they are, they stood there and saw far greater stories than our very own eyes.

What are your usual subjects?
Building, details, geometrical patterns, the urban fabric, and more recently, the streets in general.

What makes for a good Instagram shot?
Composition and substance. Something that will make you stop scrolling and stare at it for a few seconds and just go... "how?"

As a photographer, do you plan out which photos to post or do you decide to post them real-time?
Most of the time I post real-time photos depending on my connection but posting more photos of #latergrams can't be helped especially if there's really a lot of good takes from a certain place or trip I've been to.

What's the most unusual thing you've done for an Instagram photo?
There's no singular unusual thing I've done but usually I lie on the floor, trespass housing estates to get a good shot from its roof deck, go in the middle of a road intersection just to get a good shot.

What inspires you? And how does it influence your passion for photography?
The people who appreciate my photos. Even if some of them already fall on a specific niche that's not for everyone. I just remind myself that there will always be someone who will love and notice your work or the crazy things you do just to pull it off and that's what keeps me going.

Who are your favorite Instagrammers?
@takubeats, @maratshaya, one of Monocle's photographers @salvalopez, @hirozzzz, @cimkedi and the legendary @trashhand

What do you dislike about Instagram?
For some strange reason, it gives some people a certain sense of entitlement. Instagram magnified this illusion of a "well-curated" life and has negatively affected our disposition. It drives people to capture images not because of what they see but because it would stroke their ego through the likes they gain.

What is Instagram for you?
More than a photo-sharing network and repository of images, Instagram is a commentary on where and what we are now as a generation; a millennial's personal ethos. It's a reminder that everyone can take photos now, share it and weave their own story.












0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2012-2016 PURVEYR, All Rights Reserved.
Follow us on Instagram