16 June 2015

Purveyr Instagramer: Pat Abella

Instagram has become a powerful tool for one to freely express themselves through beautifully snapped photos and well thought of captions. It is a simple way to capture and share special moments, to see the world through the eyes of others, and to allow its users to experience other people's lives through photos as they happen. Because of this, we decided to do a series to showcase our favorite Filipino Instagramers.

The 10th #PurveyrInstagramer is Pat Abella.


"Hello! I’m Pat and I’m a Medical Technology student at Far Eastern University Manila. I do graphite portraits a lot and just recently, I went back to origami. People say that I don’t belong to the health sciences field, instead, they insist that I should have taken a program in line with visual arts."

With his phenomenally realistic pencil drawings of celebrities and personalities, both local and international, it's no wonder people are starting to take notice of his Instagram feed. The way he plays with light and shadow is just absolutely stunning that you have to take a second look to know if it's a mere photo or a drawn illustration. His feed is a mix of his sketches & origami art, his breakfast meals & coffee breaks, and all things Muji -- Everything shot with beautiful lighting and creative composition.

We asked Pat about his love for Instagram, and here's what he has to say.


How long have you been using Instagram and what made you decide to give more effort in it?
I’ve been using Instagram for over a year now, but I just started giving effort on my photos around November last year. I was often complemented on how beautiful my works are. Having that in mind, I took my photos as creative as possible to emphasize my works.


How would you describe your approach (style) to photography?
I’d like to say that I capture things that made me happy on that day or week. I believe that we should make the most out of the simple things we see every day.


What are your usual subjects?
I made my Instagram account primarily for my art. As I venture into the community, my subject is not composed of my work alone, but is now a mix of street shots, food and inanimate objects.


What makes for a good Instagram shot?
For me, a good Instagram shot is taken in natural light and good angles. These two are pretty vital for it brings out the best in every photo.


What’s the most unusual thing you’ve done for an Instagram photo?
I think stepping on chairs in restaurants is not unusual these days. With that, I think the most unusual thing I’ve done is to stay in the middle of EspaƱa Boulevard to take a photo.


Are your photos on Instagram solely taken from your phone, or do you use other devices, such as SLRs, digital cameras, etc? Do you think the equipment one uses is a big factor in producing stunning Instagram posts?
I just use my phone in taking my photos. I believe that it’s not the equipment, but how you visualize your photos that make it stunning.


What inspires you? And how does it influence your passion for photography?
I’d like to take inspiration from the simple things I see. If for some, a blooming cactus is pretty normal, for me it’s something worth taking a photo of. I also take inspiration from other artists for my art. I usually study their works for me to grow. These things help me convey joy and inspiration to others through my photos.


Who are your favorite Instagrammers?
I usually check on @klccheng, @jelitodeleon, @felixpradipta, @vorosmate and @urbanxkoi
When it comes to art, I am a really big fan of @valerichuaart, @vinquilop, @abbeysy, @kade_hk and @agnes_cecile

What do you dislike about Instagram?
Nothing!


What is Instagram for you?
Instagram is not a plain app anymore. It’s a community where you can inspire and get inspired too. It’s merely more than just posting the food you ate or arranged set of notebooks and shirts. It’s more like a nest that cradles young photographers, artists, influencers and more.


1 comments:

Your content is nothing short of brilliant in many ways. I think this is engaging and eye-opening material. Thank you so much for caring about your content and your readers. Abella mayfair review

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2012-2016 PURVEYR, All Rights Reserved.
Follow us on Instagram