20 May 2013

Purveyr Seven with !llmind


A month ago, we talked with Ramon Ibanga, Jr., more known as the esteemed international Filipino-American hip hop producer !llmind (Illmind). He expressed to us his love and utmost passion for music. His career skyrocketed after numerous opportunities to work with famed hip hop artists, namely 50 Cent, Kanye West, Ludacris, Eminem, Hoodie Allen and lot more familiar names in the international hip hop industry. But it wasn't until he decided that this is how he wanted to live his life, through music. Let's hear from him and learn a thing or two from this very interesting and inspiring man.


What do you do?

I'm a music producer, so basically I'm sort of also a musician. I play instruments, compose music, put songwriters and singers together, and I create music for artists.

When and how did you start?

I started my career officially as a music producer in the year 2000. That year I dropped everything I was doing at the time and decided to pursue music full time. It was a big sacrifice for me at the time, but music was just the passion of mine and the moment I started producing music, I knew that it was something I was meant to do. I was so addicted and passionate about it, that I knew nothing can get in my way. So I stuck with it, then I started meeting people, simultaneously increased my reputation as a producer and through time I started to become better. 13 years later, here I am.


What inspires you?

Music, obviously.. and the way it sounds in 2013. I'm really excited about the way music is right now because it's becoming more technical, bigger, creative and broad. Back when we were younger, I remember, when you listen to rock music, that's all you'll listen to. If you were a hip hop kid, you will listen to hip hop. But nowadays, the majority is listening to everything. I think that's interesting because as a music producer I am influenced by everything, and since the consumers want to hear everything, it gives me the opportunity to produce everything. I think music is really in a fun time right now and it's a very interesting time to be involved in it.


Top three people that influence you?

Number one is my dad - rest in peace - my dad introduced me to music, he has a huge influence on me. Two would be J-Dilla, he's a pioneer tastemaker in Detroit. He's basically your favorite producer's favorite producer, and he's my favorite producer. If it was not for J-Dilla's music I don't think I'd actually be a hip hop producer. Lastly, number three I'm gonna say Quincy Jones because I was a huge MJ fan growing up, I mean who wasn't? And anything Quincy was involved with was genius to me, so as far as producers go, Quincy Jones is definitely number three.

Top three things you don't have yet, but want to get?

Number one is a house. I want to get a house, I need to make that move soon. Then the second thing I want is a new computer, now I use a laptop,  what I want is a desktop so I can have a setup at home. And the third thing I want, which I will do eventually is a studio on a boat. I want my own boat with an actual studio inside it. So I can be at the middle of the f*cking Atlantic ocean while producing, and also have the studio with all glass windows so all I see is just water.


Where do you spend most of your day?

I spend most of my day in the studio. When I wake up, the first thing I do is get in the studio and check my email, go online and do administrative things. Then go right in to producing music. So I would say 8 to 12 hours of my day I spend it in the studio, then at night I'd like to just have time for my personal life.

What's your main dream and aspiration?

My goal at this point is to become a household name as a producer, with an established network and movement with a misson statement that basically helps aspiring producers to become successful as well. I'm really inspired by knowing that I can give back and having enough experience to be able to help people who are in the position to learn from me. Because I know what it's like to start, feel confused and just not know what to do or where to go. I just want to be able to give back and to guide these [aspiring] producers to where they need to be, to become successful.

Facebook: Illmind
Twitter: @illmindPRODUCER
Website: illmind.biz


Special thanks to Ryan Armamento and Music Colony for letting us do this interview. Photos by Marvin Conanan.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2012-2016 PURVEYR, All Rights Reserved.
Follow us on Instagram